Some Highlights Real estate has outranked stocks, savings accounts, and gold as the best long-term investment among Americans for the past 7 years. The belief in the stability
Quick Tips For New Home Owners
When I bought my first house, I couldn't wait to buy furniture, a grill, and start moving in furniture, but there are a few things you should think about doing BEFORE you plan the housewarming party:
1. Change the locks! You can hire a locksmith, but it is very easy to just do this yourself by visiting the local hardware store and buying some new knobs and keys. The previous owners may have given keys to neighbors, friends, and family - you just never know. Put your personal safety first, and spend a few bucks to make sure you're locked up safe and sound.
2. Paint! If you're going to do this, it is much easier to paint when a house is empty - drop cloths, ladders, paint splatters... you don't want that getting all over your stuff.
3. Clean - including the carpets. Once the painting is done, it is a great time to hire cleaners and carpet cleaners to give the place a good scrub down. It will make your hard work shine. Don't forget to wipe out your cabinets and consider putting liner paper in the drawers.
4. Consider an exterminator to get rid of any pests that might be lurking.
5. Locate your local police and fire station, and find out if your neighborhood has an organized block association or any other sort of neighborhood watch.
6. Relax! Once the heavy lifting is done, enjoy your beautiful new home!